Have you always wanted to find hidden treasures?
Then now it's easier than ever with a metal detector! Just like an extra pair of eyes, this powerful machine will help you search through the ground and uncover items that have been lost for years. With vibrant displays and easy-to-use controls, metal detectors are surprisingly accessible even if you’re unfamiliar with the technology.
Imagine going on treasure hunts in your own backyard or at local parks or beaches around town — it could be like exciting excavations without leaving home! You never know what hidden trinkets or ancient artifacts may be lurking beneath your feet, just waiting to be discovered by a curious explorer equipped with nothing more than a trusty metal detector.
Read our in-depth guide below and learn how to use a metal detector today!
Benefits Of Metal Detectors
Who would have thought such a simple piece of technology could bring so much joy to millions of people around the world. Everyone who shares in their hobby of metal detected and hoping to find their next treasure has a true passion for the hunt.
There are many heath benefits to using a metal detector. For one, you get to be outside and enjoying the beautiful weather in different natural landscapes searching for hidden treasures. The more you walk outside the more your heart health will improve. Getting your blood flowing and circulating is good for your body as a whole to stay in shape as well as have more energy.
Last but not least, there is the thrill of the hunt. When you set your sights on taking an afternoon at the beach, farm, woods or park you never know what you'll stumble across. Metal detectors are able to pickup on items that were thought to be long gone. As always please remember to be mindful of where you use the metal detector, you don't want to stumble upon private property when not allowed.
How To Use A Metal Detector
Learning how to use a metal detector can seem intimidating at first, but it's actually fairly easy. Here are some simple steps you can follow to get started:
- Assemble your device - Unpack your metal detector and make sure that all the necessary parts are accounted for, then assemble them according to the directions in the manual. This step may sound very basic but it's important to not miss any steps that could prevent your detector from not working.
- Adjust your settings - Each metal detector model is different, so check the manual for any special settings that may be required for certain tasks or environments. Make sure you adjust the sensitivity level and discrimination settings as needed. It's important to keep in mind what type of landscape you will be using this at. The sensitivity maybe different at the beach vs the forest.
- Do a practice run - Before going out on your first hunt, take some time to practice with your metal detector in an open area that doesn't have much disruption from other sources (like power lines). This will help you get more comfortable with how it works and how to interpret the signals it gives off. Also it maybe helpful to try digging some coins, nails or bottle caps in the ground just below the surface to ensure you have found something and it's not displaying a false reading.
- Start searching! - Once you feel comfortable with using your metal detector, head out on your first adventure! Start in an area where there is likely to be buried treasure such as old homesteads or battlefields if they are available near you and see what you can find! Please remember not to tresspass on private property, you wouldn't want to invade someone's propert illegally.
- Enjoy! - Remember, treasure hunting isn't just about finding valuable objects; it's also about having fun and exploring new places! Get out there, enjoy the natural beauty of your area and take time to relax and remember what is truly important in your life.
Metal Detector FAQs
People are always asking about how to use a metal detector, but they don't want to read a long boring manual.
A lot of people think that using a metal detector is complicated or difficult, but it's actually pretty easy. All you need are a few tips to get started.
We've put together this FAQ guide with all the most commonly asked questions about how to use a metal detector. This guide includes everything from how to set up your detector to finding hidden treasures.
Are metal detectors hard to use?
Metal detectors are relatively straightforward to use and don't require any special technical skill. They come with clear instructions for setup and operation, and most models have minimal buttons or controls to manage.
Many manufacturers offer comprehensive support resources, including tutorials and troubleshooting guides. Metal detectors can be used by anyone from beginners to experienced hobbyists. With a little practice and guidance, users can become adept at locating objects underground with relative ease.
What is the best way to use a metal detector?
The best way to use a metal detector is to become familiar with the operations and settings before starting. It is important to research the type of detector you are using and understand what metals it can detect, as well as the ideal settings for your specific environment.
It is important to always use headphones when searching, as they can help reduce outside noise and aid in detecting faint signals. Additionally, it is beneficial to make sure that the search area has not been previously searched, or if so, cleared of any items that could give false positives.
Finally, take time to practice your skills by trying different search techniques at different locations, such as sweeping slowly and methodically in concentric circles or using a pinpoint search mode. By doing this regularly, you will gain experience and become more proficient at finding valuable items.
How deep can a metal detector detect?
A metal detector's detection depth depends on a variety of factors, such as the size and composition of the metal object and the type of metal detector being used.
Generally speaking, most common metal detectors can detect objects up to 8 inches deep in soil and other materials - although in some conditions they can detect objects as deep as 12 inches. In certain cases, professional-grade metal detectors may be able to detect even deeper - up to 3 feet or more underground.
What should I look for when buying a metal detector?
When buying a metal detector, it is important to look for one that has adjustable sensitivity and discrimination settings. This will allow you to adjust the detector to pick up different metals and ignore non-valuable objects, such as pull tabs.
You should make sure that the metal detector you purchase has a good balance between depth and accuracy. You should also consider the type of search coil that comes with the detector - concentric or wide scan coils are more suitable for larger targets and pinpointing smaller targets respectively.
You need to decide if you prefer a manual or automatic ground balance feature on your metal detector. Manual ground balance allows for greater control over soil conditions while the auto ground balance can be used in tougher environments where there may be mineralized soils.
How do I ground balance my metal detector?
To ground balance your metal detector, you will need to use the available settings on the machine. This involves setting the threshold, reactivity, and sensitivity levels to tune out interference and ensure that it is properly calibrated for the environment you are detecting in.
You should adjust the discrimination level so that it only detects objects of interest and ignores any unwanted signals. Finally, make sure that you have chosen the correct search mode, such as all-metal or discriminate mode, depending on what type of objects you are searching for.
With proper calibration, your metal detector will be able to effectively detect hidden metals with accuracy and precision.
Using a metal detector can take some practice and patience, but the reward of uncovering valuable treasures makes it all worth it! It’s important to be knowledgeable and aware before and during your hunt.
Be sure to research the laws and regulations in your area, so you don’t get into any trouble while out on the field. Make sure to wear appropriate clothing, bring plenty of water and snacks, keep an eye on the weather conditions, and always be alert while operating the device. Remember that having respect for property, as well as safety is key.
We've done the research so you don't have to! To browse our Top Picks for Best Hand Held Metal Detectors please click the link below!